Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lost In Translation!

Over the last couple of years since I began to communicate with Pastor Benard Mose, 34-year old leader of the SDB Kenyan Conference, and the one with whom I will be closely working with once I arrive in Kenya, we have communicated using e-mail, texting, cell phone calling, messaging on Facebook as well as live chats. 

There have been times where neither of our English was the best, whether talking or typing. However, the other day was a hoot when we were having one of our typing chats on Facebook!

As we were discussing some of the preparations needing to be done for our month together and things I should bring and how I should dress, Benard shared with me to be sure to bring a "nector" and an " aircutting supertaker machine too." 

When I responded with "Nector? Air cutting supertaker machine?", Benard responded with, "Yes a nector on special meetings yes air cutting and beads."

I was "quiet", hoping to figure this out.

Benard then clarified it even further (we thought).

"I think you will love to cut your beads and air at times okay."

It took me a few minutes but then I realized that Benard meant a neck-tie and tools to cut my hair and beard if I wanted to.

We had a good "cyber-space" laugh. I hope you did too!

Just the other day, our son Keith read Benard's letter that he had written to the Verona church (see previous posting). He said that, even with broken English, you could still "hear" Benard's heart and honor coming through clearly. (I will say this - Benard's English is way better than my Swahili!)

While I'm sure that there will be lots of language hurdles to work through, one language that I hope will definitely come through loud and clear is the language of love among all of the SDB Kenyan Conference and throughout all of the country of Kenya! Three days and change remain until I leave!

4 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time....So much growth ahead for you and discovery and wonder...I wish you lots of love over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis! Thank you so very much!!!! Did you see that I "quoted" you in an earlier post? :o)

      Love you bunches!
      Steve

      Delete
  2. Have a fun and safe trip Uncle Steve! You should look into the app that translates from your native language to the other language. Might help you bunches over there.

    Take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenni!

    I will do my best! Hmmmm...sounds like an interesting app! And I will def take a bunch of pictures...hopefully uploading a pic of the day each day to this blog!

    Love ya!
    Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete