Saturday, May 26, 2012

Last Sabbath With Verona Before Kenya!

Today's service at Verona SDB Church was very special for a number of reasons! 

 It was our Memorial Day Sabbath service, and so the service had a patriotic feel to it through some of our songs and in the decorations around the facility. We sang "Praise Adonai" followed by "God of Our Fathers" to acknowledge God as sovereign over all and over our country.

With this month's overall theme being that of service, we recognized those who had given the ultimate sacrifice of service for our country, as well as honored those still serving in the armed forces. After our Kidz Konnection and a time of testimony, we sang "America, the Beautiful" to lead into the morning message. In it we reviewed how service factored so greatly in our Savior, the spirit of motherhood and the Sabbath, and then wrapped our month-long focus by exploring the nature of "sacrifice" when it comes to serving. We came out of the Word singing "When It's All Been Said and Done".

Debbie was then able to capture the next two parts of the service on video.


Pastor Benard Mose, leader of the SDB Kenyan Conference, with whom I am teaming up for a month-long mission project starting next Sunday, wrote a letter to our church that he wanted me to read to them today. Sent to me just last night, Benard thanked the VSDBC family for their support during the last 12 years and for sending me to them for 4 weeks. It was especially sweet and yet hard to read the part written to Debbie, as it reminded me of "separation anxiety" (see previous post).

The church's Diaconate, with Pastor Rex Burdick leading, then came up front, gathered around me and prayed over me, committing me, Debbie, and the missions trip to the Lord. It was a very special moment for me to take a knee and have them lay hands on me.

It's now just under  8 days away  when I leave from Syracuse International Airport for JFK, Zurich, Nairobi and finally arrive in Kisii, Kenya. Thank YOU for YOUR prayers and for taking this part of the journey with me! Be sure to check out our church's page on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment